Disability is not Inability|Awareness
Disability is a part of the human condition; almost everyone will be temporarily or permanently impaired at some point in life. Globally 15 per cent of the population faces some form of disability. According to 2011 census, India has 26.8 million differently-able people, constituting 2.21% of the population.
The term disability is defined as an impairmenn to do certain activities and interact with the world around them.
Types of disabilities include various physical and mental impairments that can hamper or reduce a person's ability to carry out his day to day activities.
There are 8 types of disabilities:
- er disability
Obstacles faced by disabled:
- The existing Indian transportation System and infrastructural facilities are not disabled friendly.
- Schools are not really geared to look after differently able people.
- Public places are not friendly for disabled and lack of disabled friendly toilets is also a big hindrance.
- No sports facility is readily available for the disabled
- Widespread discrimination in the society
- Differently able people are denied jobs because they are considered incapable.
- Society needs to respect and accept people with disability.
It is important for every citizen to realize the need for including disabled people into the society. As we forge ahead into brighter and better world, we need to hold hands e and inclusive society where the disabled have the right to space like all others.
Disability is not inability and persons with disability should be respected and regarded well.