7th Week of Pregnancy- Symptoms, Baby’s development and Ultrasound
So, you have entered the seventh week of your pregnancy? Now, you are midway through your first trimester and everything is moving quickly. A lot of things are happening inside your body. It is probably a good time to look for obstetric or gynaecologist because from now onwards, critical tests and checkups will be necessary until the birth of your baby.
Symptoms during 7th Week-
During seventh week of pregnancy, you will experience the following symptoms-
· aches and pains
· morning sickness
· tender breasts
· food cravings
Body changes during 7th week-
· You may find yourself craving for foods that you once thought were disgusting. But this is normal.
· You are probably not showing much at this stage but you are likely to develop a feeling of being pregnant and bloated. Some women begin to show a small swelling in their lower abdomen. Swelling may sometimes occur due to bloating.
· Now, your favourite pair of jeans may not fit as comfortably as your baggy sweatpants. So it is better to look for maternity clothes.
· During seventh week of your pregnancy, one of the major changes that occur in your body is development of your mucous plug. Your cervix is forming a plug at the opening site of cervical canal. This plug helps to seal off the uterus for protection.
Growth and Development of Baby-
- During 7th week, your baby's vital organs continue to develop. Your baby is just 0.5 inches long, now.
- The placenta continues to develop, but at this stage it is not ready to supply nutrients to your developing baby. The yolk sac is shrinking in size but still supplies nutrients to your developing baby.
- During this week, facial features continue to develop. The mouth and tongue of your baby may begin to form this week. The eye buds are becoming more distinct, including retina and lens of your baby.
- The nose is in its earliest stage at 7th week. Shallow pits have appeared on the tip of your baby’s face which will later become nostrils.
- The heart is now starting to pump blood that will circulate throughout body. The heart continues to develop as weeks of pregnancy pass.
- The liver of your baby starts to make blood cells.
- The muscles, bones, and organs continue to grow.
- The intestines and appendix are fully formed.
- The toes and fingers of your baby can be seen in an ultrasound now.
The 7th week is considered to be an ideal time to go for your first ultrasound scan. At this stage, the embryo is going through defining characteristics of development. So, an accurate assessment of your pregnancy can be done to predict gestational age of the embryo growing in your womb. Apart from predicting the due date, ultrasound scan in 7th week of pregnancy can reveal certain things about your pregnancy. It is done to predict the following.
· Confirm your pregnancy
· Predict the gestational age of embryo
· Rules out ectopic pregnancy
· Can identify source of blood loss if present
· Confirms whether your ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes are in good shape
· Checks out whether the embryo is having proper development and growth
· High-resolution ultrasound scan allows you to see the heartbeat of your baby
Ectopic pregnancy is a major complication which occurs during the first few weeks of conception. It is a pregnancy which is formed outside the uterus, most often in fallopian tubes. In case, you experience following symptoms during 7th week of pregnancy, then you must meet the gynaecologist immediately.
· Vaginal bleeding
· Blurred vision
· Sudden and unexplained dizziness
· Rectal pressure
· Intense pelvic pain
· Low blood pressure
Role of diet-
A healthy diet is must to follow during pregnancy. So, continue to follow a healthy and balanced diet. A complaint of morning sickness is common during early weeks of pregnancy. During this week, the food aversions and nausea can start taking a toll on your health. You should take care of yourself because your health is important not just for your safety but for your baby as well. You can make your food boring for a while. It is not a good advice but eating simple and bland food will manage the problem of heartburn during pregnancy. Changing some dietary habits can help to manage morning sickness.
- Eat smaller meals often.
- Take vitamin B6, folic acid and iron rich foods daily.
- Include citrus fruits such as orange, sweet lime, lemon, grapefruit etc in your daily diet.
- Eat dairy products such as cheese, paneer, etc.
- Include fruits such as apple, banana, watermelon and berries in your diet.
- Eat green leafy vegetables more often.
- Do not skip meals or lie down immediately after eating.
- Do not eat spicy food.
- Avoid the intake of deep fried and oily foods.
- Avoid overeating.
- Drink lemonade to relieve nausea. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fruit juices and water. Drink coconut water and milk.
- Ginger chews can help to manage nausea.
- Ask your doctor about supplements that could help alleviate morning sickness.
· Avoid alcohol, coffee or other harmful drinks.
· Quit smoking.
- Get plenty of rest, and nap during the day.
- Go for a walk. Do some exercises.
· Wear a good supporting bra to manage the tenderness and swelling in your breasts.
· Manage stress.