Take Action to Prevent Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a life-threatening infection of the lungs that affects children as well as adults and is the leading cause of death around the world. The lungs are made up of small sacs called alveoli, which fill with air when a healthy person breathes. When a person has pneumonia, the alveoli are filled with pus and fluid, which makes breathing painful and limits oxygen intake.
Pneumonia affects approximately 450 million people globally and results in about 4 million deaths per year.
Know the Symptoms of Pneumonia
The symptoms can vary from mild to severe, depending on the type of pneumonia you have, age and overall health.
The most common symptoms are:
- Loss of Appetite
- Shaking Chills
- Difficulty Breathing
What causes Pneumonia?
Understanding the cause of pneumonia is important because the treatment depends on its cause. Various causal organisms that can cause pneumonia are:
- Infectious agents such as fungi
- Various Chemicals
What are the Risk Factors?
Anyone can get pneumonia, but some people are at a higher risk than others.
- Infant and young children
- Adults who are more than 65 years old
- People with medical conditions such as Diabetes, COPD or Asthma
- People who smoke cigarette
- Having a weak immune system due to illness, certain medications and autoimmune disorders
Pneumonia can be easily overlooked because its symptoms often resemble a cold or flu. To determine whether you have pneumonia the doctor will inquire about the various signs and symptoms.
- Physical examination – Crackling and bubbling sound in the chest during inhalation. Wheezing may also be present.
- Diagnostic tests – X-ray of the chest determines the type of pneumonia.
Other tests are:
- Blood and sputum culture
- CT scan of the chest
- CBC test to check the white blood cells
Prevention of Pneumonia
The risk for pneumonia can be prevented by following few simple steps:
- Breastfeeding baby for at least six months
- Healthy diet and active lifestyle
- Practice good hand and personal hygiene
- Eliminate household air pollution
- Get immunized
Every Breath Counts. Stop Pneumonia Now!